24
Nov

Social Responsibility: whose business is it?

Written on November 24, 2006 by Max Oliva in Corporate Responsibility

Reuters.gifnewsmakerCSRbadge.gif
Yet another great debate has taken place November 9, 2006 at 3 Times Square in New York City. Reuters, The Conference Board and the Corporate Social Responsibility Initiative at Harvard University have organized it.
Finding the optimal path to capitalism in the 21st century, generating long term value over the long term. Citizenship and sustainability struggling to gain top-executive mindshare. Boosting corporate reputation. Citizenship and sustainability programs moving up in priority. These are some of the ideas covered here.
A majority of major companies concerned with corporate responsibility issues acknowledge that they lack an active strategy to develop new business opportunities arising from meeting these citizenship and sustainability needs, according to a report released by The Conference Board. The report is based on a new survey of 198 medium to large multinational companies. Take a look at their report (The full report is only available to members).
Nearly half (46%) of the responding companies say that corporate citizenship and sustainability are major sources of business opportunity and not only sources of business risk alone. When added to the 44% who see these issues as sources of both risk and opportunity, a total of 90% of participating companies say their company’s approach to corporate citizenship and sustainability issues reflects at least some belief in the potential rewards.
Peter S. Knight, President of Generation Investment (Jed Emerson from Generation Foundation was with us at IE this past November 17th), Samuel A. Dipiazza, CEO PwC and Doug Bauer, Senior Vicepresident of the Rockefeller philanthropy are some of the people who take part on the conversation.
Follow the conversation.

Comments

No comments yet.

Leave a Comment

*

We use both our own and third-party cookies to enhance our services and to offer you the content that most suits your preferences by analysing your browsing habits. Your continued use of the site means that you accept these cookies. You may change your settings and obtain more information here. Accept